Exhibitions & Talks
Exhibitions & Introductory Talks
Schools and colleges
Bring your school groups to the National Portrait Gallery for a self-guided visit of our exhibitions and benefit from our new school group exhibition ticket price:
- School groups of 10+ receive new concessionary exhibition ticket price Monday – Friday, 10.00 – 14.00* (last entry is at 14.00). The new schools group exhibition ticket prices are as follows:
Cecil Beaton’s Bright Young Things
£5 per pupil/student
David Hockney: Drawing from Life
£5 per pupil/student
*If your intended visit falls outside of the times eligible for the school group exhibition ticket price you group of 10+ would be eligible for the group concession rate.
- The School group concessionary exhibition price is only available for your primary or secondary class of 10 + when pre-booked at least a month in advance. Full payment need to be received at least two weeks before your visit.
- We are unable to offer guided visits inside the exhibitions for space reasons. Entry to the exhibition may need to be staggered depending on the size of the group.
- Free exhibition introductory talks in the Ondaatje lecture theatre for secondary school groups who have pre-booked paid exhibition tickets.
- Please ring 020 7312 2483 to book tickets with discounted schools exhibition rates for exhibitions or arrange an introductory talk.
Further information and guidance for groups visiting exhibitions
Download a pdf of the info and guidance here
- Accompanying teachers: a complimentary ticket is available for 1 teacher per every 5 pupils / students. Additional teachers/ adults pay the standard ticket price.
- SEN schools: complimentary tickets are available for accompanying carers for pupils and students who need 1:1 care. Written request detailing needs of the group is required.
- EU Schools: The schools group exhibition pricing is open to EU schools on receipt of written request on school letterhead demonstrating that this is an educational visit from a single school.
- Payment: The schools group exhibition price is only available when pre-booked at least a month in advance. Full payment needs to be received at least two weeks before your visit. If payment is not received two weeks in advance your group will be charged the group concession rate
- Refunds: No refunds are given should you bring fewer students on the day. If you bring additional students they will be charged at the group concession rate. Additional adults pay standard price.
- Check in:-A teacher/ group leader must check in at the front desk on arrival
- Late comers: tickets will allow entry into exhibition for 30mins after the entry time. Entry after this time cannot be guaranteed
- If you are going to be late please call learning services 020 7312 2483, so we can advise the front desk and try to accommodate your group
- Cloakroom – as we do not have a large public cloak room we advise groups to bring as little as possible with them / leave bags and coats on the coach. There is limited space and staffing for use of the public cloakroom
- Large bags cannot go into exhibitions
- Charged for Lockers are available for use
- School cloakroom: is for groups receiving a taught session at the Gallery, on arrival self directed groups could ask at the front desk if they can access the school cloakroom (if there are no taught sessions on this day)
- Sketching in exhibition spaces: –sketching is permitted only with the use of A4 notebooks and pencil. Groups need to be respectful of the public who are also viewing the exhibition. You may be asked by a member of the visitor services team to move on should the exhibition space be busy
- No photography allowed unless otherwise stated
- Re-entry: there is no re-entry into exhibitions once you have exited the exhibition space
- Seating: Please note that there is no seating in exhibitions (mobile stools are available, but they are very limited in number). No sitting on the floor at any time.
- Toilets: Large exhibitions will have public toilets in them