★★★★ Evening Standard
★★★★ Time Out
★★★★ The Telegraph
Models, artists, makers, partners and poets. Discover the untold stories of the Pre-Raphaelite Sisters
170 years after the first pictures were exhibited by the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood in 1849, Pre-Raphaelite Sisters, explores the overlooked contribution of twelve women to this iconic artistic movement. Featuring new discoveries and unseen works from public and private collections across the world, this show reveals the women behind the pictures and their creative roles in Pre-Raphaelite’s successive phases between 1850 and 1900.
Joanna Wells, Fanny Cornforth, Marie Spartali Stillman, Evelyn de Morgan, Christina Rossetti, Georgiana Burne-Jones, Effie Millais, Elizabeth Siddal, Maria Zambaco, Jane Morris, Annie Miller, Fanny Eaton
17 October 2019 - 26 January 2020
Open daily 10.00 – 18.00/ Friday until 21.00
Wolfson and Lerner Galleries
National Portrait Gallery, St Martin’s Place, London, WC2H 0HE
£18 - 20/ £17 - 19 (concessions)
Alternatively please book your tickets using the authorised methods below or become a Member to enjoy free and unlimited entry to all exhibitions. You will not need to pay more than the price of Gallery Membership to see the exhibition.
By phone 020 7321 6600
Daily 10.00-17.30 (transaction fee applies)
In person at the Gallery
Daily 10.00-17.00, Fridays until 20.00
£18-20 / £17-19 (concessions)
£5 tickets for under 25s on Fridays
£5 tickets for concessions and over 60s
Monday-Wednesday mornings (10.00-11.00)
Concessions include: Those in receipt of pension credit, universal credit or income support, students, children 12–18 years, registered unemployed, disabled people (with free entry for one carer). Proof of age or status required.
Become a Member today to enjoy immediate and unlimited entry to all ticketed exhibitions with no need to book. In addition Members receive an array of fantastic benefits including special exhibition previews, priority booking and a 10% discount in the Gallery Shops, Portrait Restaurant and Portrait Café.
Membership starts from just £55 by Direct Debit.
BECOME A MEMBER
Patrons enjoy all of the benefits of Membership as well as an exclusive events programme including opening night Private Views and curator-led tours.
BECOME A PATRON
Gallery Members, Supporters and children under 12 years in family groups.
National Art Pass holders 50% discount
Book an Adult or Pension Credit ticket and receive 50% off tickets for up to four children (12 – 18).
Tickets are £5 per student/pupil for groups 10+ visiting from 10.00-14.00, booking and paying at least a month in advance. Find out more.
Special tours are available for groups, including a lecture and opportunity to explore the exhibition. For more information visit group tours.
Monday – Wednesday between 10.00 -11.00 enjoy £5 tickets
Tickets for these timeslots are limited. Please arrive early to avoid disappointment
Every Friday enjoy £5 tickets (open late, until 21.00)
Large print guides
Large print guides are available at the entrance of the exhibition or by speaking to a member of staff. The large print guide is also available to download as a pdf here
Due to the nature of the works on display, bags over 38 by 30cm, rucksacks and umbrellas are not permitted in this exhibition. Please make use of the Gallery cloakroom on Floor -2. For more information click here.
A range of ticketed events including a film screening, talk, and lecture complement the exhibition.
1 event matching the search term Pre-Raphaelite sisters
- Talks and Lectures||Friday Lates
- Book now
Become a Member for as little as £55 and enjoy FREE, unlimited entry to all exhibitions and discounts on ticketed events.
Other benefits include:
• Invitations to Members-only private views
• Discounts in the Portrait Restaurant and Gallery Shops
• Priority booking for special events
• Regular updates and exclusive offers
A part of Friday Lates
24 January 2020, 19:00
Ondaatje Wing Theatre
Tickets: £10 (£8 concessions and Gallery Supporters)
Novelist Elizabeth McNeal (The Doll Factory), writer and blogger Kirsty Stonell Walker (Pre-Raphaelite Girl Gang; Stunner: The Fall and Rise of Fanny Cornforth; The Kissed Mouth) and composer Howard Goodall (The Stunners Opera) talk to biographer Lucinda Hawksley (Lizzie Siddal: The Tragedy of a Pre-Raphaelite Supermodel) about the enduring fascination with women associated with the Pre-Raphaelites.
Find out more Book now
For far too long the male protagonists of the Pre-Raphaelite movement have dominated accounts of this revolution in British art. This book aims to redress the balance in showing just how engaged and central women were to the endeavour – as models, sitters, artists and helpmeets.
Enjoy free and unlimited entry to all ticketed exhibitions with no need to book, along with other benefits. Membership starts from just £55. Find out more and join online today here.
Patrons enjoy all of the benefits of Membership plus more. Find out more and join online today here.
Afternoon Tea Package
Make the most of your visit to Pre-Raphaelite Sisters with an afternoon tea in the Portrait Restaurant. Inspired by the jewel-like colours and rich detail of the Pre-Raphaelite works, we have devised a luscious tea menu full of bold, natural flavours, from lavender and lime to truffle and coffee.
Call 020 7312 2490 to book
This package includes entrance to the exhibition plus afternoon tea for one.
WIN A £500 VOUCHER TO SPEND ON A LUXURY COTTAGE BREAK
To celebrate our Pre-Raphaelite Sisters exhibition, we have partnered with Premier Cottages to offer a luxurious break
The lucky winner will receive a £500 voucher to spend on a stay in one of Premier Cottages’ luxurious four and five star self-catering properties across the UK and Ireland. With almost 1000 outstanding holiday homes to choose from they’ll be spoilt for choice. Properties range from jaw-dropping country house style accommodation to romantic boltholes, family and dog-friendly cottage clusters and glamping options like shepherd’s huts and tree houses. To stay updated with news from Premier Cottages, special offers and more please tick the box below.
- Closing date 26 January 2020. All valid entries will be entered into a prize draw and the winner will be drawn at random and notified by email by 3 February 2020. The winner must claim their prize by 10 February or it will be considered forfeited and another draw will take place
- All subject to availability
- Entries can only be submitted online via the National Portrait Gallery website
- Entries made using automated competition entry systems or similar are not allowed
- The winning entrant will be chosen at random by the National Portrait Gallery from all completed and valid entries received by the closing date. The decision is final and non-negotiable
- The National Portrait Gallery reserves the right to substitute the prize with a prize of similar value at its own discretion
- The National Portrait Gallery reserves the right to withdraw or amend the competition as necessary due to circumstances outside its control.
- By entering the competition, all entrants will be deemed to have accepted and agreed to be bound by these rules
- Employees of the National Portrait Gallery and Premier Cottages, their families, agents or anyone else connected with the competition are not permitted to enter.
- No cash alternative. Not transferable and non-refundable.
- The competition is run by the National Portrait Gallery Marketing Department.
- The Gallery is situated at St Martin’s Place. London WC2H OHE, Tel: +44 207 7306 0055
- One entry per household
- Prize is one £500 voucher for Premier Cottages only
- Voucher can be redeemed at any Premier Cottage property in full or part payment of a stay and must be used within three years from date of issue.
- Not all properties are accessible, so please check with each property owner that your chosen property suits your needs.
- If the cost of the holiday exceeds the value of the voucher, the difference is payable by the winner
- Transfers, insurance, transport at the cottages, spending money and tours are not included.
- The prize is non-refundable, non-transferable and there is no cash or other alternatives.
- For further details of accessibility and features, head to www.premiercottages.co.uk
Le Caprice Package
In celebration of the National Portrait Gallery’s Pre-Raphaelite Sisters exhibition, Le Caprice are offering a 2 course meal and a glass of wine and an exhibition ticket for just £43 per person.
Le Caprice, located behind the Ritz Hotel in St James’s, first opened in 1947, under Mario Gallati, former Maître d’ of The Ivy. However, it was on its relaunch in 1981 that it became the world-famous restaurant it is today. Le Caprice’s menu features modern British dishes prepared with carefully sourced seasonal game, meat, fish and vegetables accompanied by the most sumptuous desserts.
020 7629 2239
Available to book every day between 2:30pm - 6:30pm and after 9:30pm. Offer from 17th October to 26th January - excluding December. To make a reservation call or walk-in. Tickets for the exhibition will be available for collection at Le Caprice.
National Portrait Gallery
St Martin's Place
020 7306 0055
Daily 10.00 – 18.00
Fridays until 21.00
Last admission to the exhibition is one hour before the Gallery closes.
Exiting commences ten minutes before the closing time.
Enjoy a drink at the bar and music inspired by our exhibitions, join our hugely popular mass art occupation of the Gallery and explore ideas about art, culture and society with our talks programme every Friday until 21.00.
Getting to the Gallery
Leicester Square / Charing Cross
For directions to the Gallery please click here
Shop entrance in St Martin's Place, please click here for more information on Access at the Gallery
Recorded information: 020 7312 2463
Pre-Raphaelites in the Gallery’s Collection
Explore a selection of images of or by artists in the Pre-Raphaelite Circle from our Collection that are available as framed and unframed prints here.